To me, no other fruits evoke summer as much as apricots do. Perhaps it is because of my trips to Tuscany and Provence where I discovered how intense their flavor could be, which made the supermarket apricots I’d been buying all my life taste like aliens!
Now, I restrain myself and wait until I can buy them from our local orchard.
Once I have my fill of eating them on their own, I like to make a quick compote with them. Served with ice cream, it becomes an elegant dessert for a dinner party. But it’s also incredibly delicious with yogurt, with a slice of pound cake or even for breakfast on top of pancakes.
One more thing, you can make this compote with other summer fruits: cherries, nectarines, peaches, plums… It is incredibly versatile and delicious to boot.
并不要诱惑吝啬威士忌 - 这使得这个简单的糖果不少于罪恶！
Apricot compote with Scotch whisky and ice cream
- 1 1/4磅（565克）成熟杏 - 凹陷和切成1/4“切片
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1/3 cup blended Scotch whisky (or Cognac)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- lemon balm or mint leaves as garnish
- Step 1:Place the apricot slices in a medium heavy bottomed pan. Add the lemon juice and sugar and heat over medium-high heat. Stir well and fast-simmer for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time. The apricots will release their juices and the sauce will become foamy. Turn off the heat, add the whisky and stir well. Transfer to a bowl to cool to room temperature.
- Step 2:Scoop the ice cream into dessert bowls. Top with the apricot compote. Garnish with a lemon balm or mint leaf. Serve immediately.
- Cook’s note: The compote can be made up to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.