A taste of summer sunshine in every bite
杏子are superb little fruits that lend themselves well to all kinds of dishes, including salads.
Here they’re tossed with a bit of honey to accentuate their sweetness, and then grilled – yes, grilled! Paired with crunchy fennel, spunky arugula, sweet Spanish Marcona almonds and a flavorful vinaigrette, the grilled apricots are a revelation – they contribute a wonderfully sweet-smoky essence to the refreshing salad, as well as a shot of color.
An ode to grilled fruit
The summer barbecue is a seasonal treat that I look forward to during the cold months of winter, and that Marc and I take advantage of liberally as soon as the weather allows. I’m sure many of you can relate to that! But have you ever grilled fruit? If not, you’re missing out.
While it may seem odd at first, grilling fruit is a marvelous experience. Not only do you get gorgeous grill marks – a dramatic touch to most any dish – but the hot surface also causes the sugars in the fruit to caramelize, adding a new dimension of smoky sweetness to the fruits you thought you knew. This can work very well in desserts, of course, but I also like to use grilled fruits in savory dishes – and this salad is perhaps my favorite example.
All in all, this is a gorgeous, massively flavorful first course that makes you wish summer would never end.
Food & wine pairing: Blanc de Blancs Champagne with fennel and grilled apricot salad
Serve a Blanc de Blancs Champagne or sparkling wine with this beautiful salad. The flavors and aromas of the wine are marvelous with the grilled apricots, while its crispness works well with the vinaigrette – a festive pairing for a stylish salad!
For the vinaigrette
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2汤匙香槟醋
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoongrapeseed oil（或油菜油）
- 6中，成熟（但仍然坚定）杏 - 减半和挖坑
For the salad
- 3 oz (85 g) baby arugula – rinsed and spin-dried
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- 2汤匙烤Marcona杏仁（或常规杏仁） - 粗粉碎（使用砂浆和杵）
- Step 1:Peel the fresh ginger root and grate with amicroplane grater。挤压手指之间的磨碎肉以提取生姜汁，然后丢弃纸浆。（你应该最终用1茶匙新鲜的姜汁。）将姜汁，蜂蜜，醋，盐，胡椒和油放在一个小碗中，并搅拌直到混合得很好。搁置。
- 第2步：Preheat a grill or griddle on high. Place the honey and oil in a large bowl and whisk until well blended. Add the apricots and toss with your fingers until well coated with the mixture. Place the apricots cut-side-down on the grill. Grill until grill marks appear, without closing the lid of your grill. (This would overcook the apricots and turn them to mush.) Transfer to a plate.
- Cook’s note: Only grill the apricots when ready to serve the salad.
- Step 3:Cut the fennel bulb in half lengthwise and remove the core. Using amandoline，在1/16“切片中纵向切片。（你应该有大约3杯剃光的茴香。）将芝麻菜，茴香和杏仁放在一个大碗里。淋上三分之二的香醋，折腾直到涂层良好。将沙拉分成四个单独的板并土堆成矩形。撒上茴香蔬菜，连续撒上3个烤杏子。毛毛雨，立即使用醋栗，而杏子仍然温暖。