Persimmons are fruit trees that are native to China, but they’re now grown in many parts of the world. There are two main varieties of persimmons: non-astringent and astringent. The difference between the two types is the amount of tannins in the fruit. The heart-shaped Hachiya persimmons, perhaps the most common variety, are astringent. Before they ripen, they’re loaded with bitter tannins and are not palatable, but once they’re perfectly ripe and their flesh has completely softened they become quite sweet.
越squat-shaped付羽柿子,其他r hand, are non-astringent and have much less tannins than their widely grown cousins. They’re sweet even when still firm, although they’ll also turn mushy quite rapidly towards the end of the ripening process.
Both kinds of persimmons are absolutely luscious in this cocktail. If using Fuyu, their flesh can still be firm, but their color should be deep-tangerine. If using Hachiya, the fruits should be soft with a vibrant, orange-red skin.
The most exciting part is that these exotic fruits bring a festive and enchanting twist to the holidays, their abundant harvest coinciding with the busiest, most celebrated time of the year.
May this persimmon Cosmo bring good cheer to your holidays!
active time:20 min
For the persimmon purée
- 1 lb (455 g) very ripe Fuyu or Hachiya persimmons (3 medium) – peeled and cut in 1″ pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
For the cocktails
- 4 oz (120 ml) vodka
- 3 oz (90 ml) persimmon purée
- 1 oz (30 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 oz (30 ml)St. Germain Elderflower liqueur
- 2 dasheslemon bitters
- 2 lime wheels as garnish
- Step 1:地方the persimmon pieces and lime juice in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then process the persimmons at high speed for about 1 minute, until liquidy and very smooth. You should have 1 1/2 cups or (12 oz) (355 ml) of purée, enough to make 8 cocktails. Transfer to a squeeze bottle.
- Cook’s note: The purée can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Step 2:Fill a shaker two thirds of the way with large ice cubes. Add the vodka, persimmon purée, lime juice, liqueur and bitters. Shake until the outside of the shaker becomes frosted and strain into martini glasses. Garnish each glass with a lime wheel and serve ice cold.