Spanish chickpea stew served with toasted couscousA sweet, smoky and hearty vegetable stew that makes great leftovers
The vegetables in this hugely flavorful stew are available all year long at your corner grocery store. But the best time to make this dish is at the end of summer and the beginning of fall – the tomatoes are at their juiciest during this time, and so are the just-picked red bell peppers! Together, they bring a marvelous sweetness to the stew, and it’s further balanced with pungent roasted spices and smoky Pimentón Dulce.
一个简单的vegetarian stew — but even easier, and tastier, when refrigerated for a day or two and served as leftovers!
As in many stews, the flavors in this one get deeper with a little bit of rest. So whenever I make a batch, I either refrigerate or freeze half of it, knowing that on a busy night I can simply reheat the stew and a delicious, healthy dinner is on the table in minutes!
Spanish chickpea stew served with toasted couscous
serves4 to 6
- 2 1/2汤匙豪华黄油
- 2 cups spring water
For the stew
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium Spanish or yellow onions – skinned and cut in 1/4″ pieces (3 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium red bell peppers – cut in 1/4″ cubes (2 1/2 cups)
- 1中等绿色甜椒 - 切成1/4“立方体（1 1/4杯）
- 4 garlic cloves – skinned and finely chopped
- 1 1/2汤匙Pimentón Dulce(smoked Spanish sweet paprika)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) very ripe tomatoes –去皮，种子（种子紧张和果汁保留）or one 28 oz (795 g) can whole, peeled plum tomatoes plus 1/4 cup spring water – puréed in a food processor
- 1/2 cup reserved chickpea cooking liquid or spring water
- 3 cupscooked chickpeas
- 1 1/2茶匙海盐
- 2 tablespoons Amontillado sherry (or Marsala)
- Step 1:使蒸丸子 - 将中高热的中厚锅带到中高热并加入黄油。一旦黄油熔化，加入蒸粗饼干，炒2至3分钟，直到蒸丸子是苍白的金色，搅拌或搅拌锅。关闭热量并加入水和盐。搅拌均匀，覆盖锅并静置20分钟，用叉子剥落一次或两次，以防止它制作团块。保持锅中覆盖，直至准备服务。
- 第2步：Heat a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and sauté until they turn a dark color and are fragrant (about 2 minutes), shaking the pan continuously. Transfer to a mortar and grind until coarsely ground.
- Step 3:Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and onions and sauté for 2 minutes, until the onions start to sweat. Add the peppers and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes until golden, tossing only occasionally. Add the garlic, ground cumin and coriander, Pimentón Dulce and cayenne and sauté for 1 minute until the spices release their flavor. Add the puréed tomatoes, the reserved chickpea cooking liquid and the chickpeas. Stir well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium/medium-low, cover the pot and slow-simmer for 20 minutes until the stew has slightly thickened, stirring from time to time to prevent the stew from sticking to the pot. Uncover the pot and continue to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce the stew. The sauce should be thick but neither dry nor liquidy. Add the salt and sherry, stir well and simmer for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve the stew with the toasted couscous and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
- Cook’s note: The stew can be cooled and refrigerated for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 1 month.
- If you prefer serving a whole grain with this stew, then藜麦is the perfect candidate. It’s almost as light as couscous and has a wonderful nutty flavor.